Doctoral Procedures & Forms
I. Academic Preparation: Satisfactory completion of the academic preparatory program when/if required before starting the PhD program.
II. Doctoral Program: The PhD in Curriculum and Instruction program is composed of 4 required credit-bearing courses, 4 restricted elective courses and 2 required non-credit courses. All designated courses (except CI 699 and GE 690) are to be completed within 4 semesters.
- New Graduate Student Academic Advisor Nomination Form
- Dissertation Advisor Nomination Form
- Dissertation Topic Nomination Form
- Change of Dissertation Advisor Form
III. Qualifying examination: The qualifying examination consists of written and oral components, and is to be conducted within first five semesters. Successful completion of all credit bearing courses, and the seminar course is required to take the examination. After successful required course completion, the student is required to formally write to their department chair to confirm the semester in which they would like to take the qualifying examination.
IV. Thesis Monitoring Committee: After successful completion of the qualifying examination, a dissertation monitoring committee is formed within a month.
- PhD Dissertation Monitoring Committee Nomination Form
- PhD Dissertation Monitoring Committee Change Form
V. PhD Thesis Proposal: The student who successfully completes the qualifying examination stage is required to defend their thesis proposal before the Thesis Monitoring Committee within six months after the qualifying examination. The committee members are submitted a copy of the proposal two weeks at the latest before the oral defence of the proposal.
IV. Dissertation Monitoring Committee Meetings: Once the proposal is accepted by the Thesis Monitoring Committee, the committee convenes twice a year: between January and June, and between July and December. The first meeting cannot be held earlier than three months, or later than six months, after the proposal is accepted. The time frame between two meetings cannot be shorter than 4 months. The students is required to send a progress report (which includes a summary of what has been completed during the period concerned, and a plan for the next period meeting) to the committee members a month before the meeting. A post-meeting report prepared by the advisor is sent to the GSE within two weeks after each meeting.
- PhD Dissertation Monitoring Committee Report Form
- PhD Dissertation Monitoring Progress Report Form (to be completed before by the candidate)
- PhD Dissertation Monitoring Post Meeting Progress Report (to be completed by the advisor)
VI. Permission to Conduct Research:
- Permission to Conduct Research in MoNE schools: Procedures to Follow
- Application for Ethics Committee Approval
- Bilimsel Araştırma ve Yayın Etiği Yönergesi
VIII. Publication: At least one manuscript (derived from the PhD thesis), which has been published or accepted for publication in a reputable journal recognized by the Office of Vice Rector for Academic Affairs, is required before the PhD Thesis Examination.
IX. PhD Thesis Examination: When considered ready by the advisor, a PhD Thesis examination process starts.
- Sample APA (7th ed.) Formatted PhD Thesis Entries
- PhD Dissertation Examination Committee Nomination and Appointment Form
- PhD Dissertation Examination Report Form
- PhD Dissertation Submission, Examination & Exit Procedures
XI. Academic Integrity
XII. PhD Degree: The student who is considered successful after the PhD Thesis Examination, who meets formatting requirements, and who completes exit procedures is awarded the PhD degree.
XIII. Exit Procedures include the following:
- Thesis Database Submission and Permission Form
- Graduate Thesis Access Postponement Request Form (optional)
- CoHE-Thesis-Submission-Permission-Sample-Form (Örnek Tez Veri Giriş ve Yayımlama İzin Formu) To access online/Çevrimiçi ulaşmak için
- CoHE-Thesis-Submission-Access-Guidelines (Lisansüstü Tezlerin Elektronik Ortamda Toplanması, Düzenlenmesi ve Erişime Açılmasına İlişkin Yönerge)
- Requesting Termination of Enrolment
For exact procedures and details, please refer to the Bilkent University Graduate Studies Rules and Regulations (in Turkish)